[Herts] New web site

Dominic Hargreaves dom at earth.li
Fri Oct 26 10:08:32 BST 2007

On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 09:36:51AM +0100, Steve Clark wrote:

> Having played a bit with Wordpress I'm wondering if a wiki is really
> necessary. WP allows for creating lots of static pages, as opposed to
> blog entries. It has a nice 'rich text' editor, but I'm not sure how
> easy it is to link between the pages. It should also be possible for
> people to add comments to these pages. What would we actually use a wiki
> for? If it's just to expand on topics covered in talks then this may be
> enough. I would have no problem with us linking to members' own sites if
> they contain more details.

I've recently set up an ikiwiki instance from some internal
documentation at work, and I'm thinking of using it as a basic CMS for
some public facing sites (without public facing editing). It's
subversion backed, which is a big win for me (means I can use a proper
text editor rather than be tied to a web form) - it is also very
pluggable. It also generates static content and supports openid and so
on.

If you want to use it as a traditional wiki, as a community
knowledgebase, I would advise against having to manually create accounts
for members.

The web site is
http://ikiwiki.info/

Anyway, that's my current ramble on the matter - I now return to lurking :)

Cheers,

Dominic.