[Herts] Re: Open street mapping

Steve Clark steve at bagofspoons.net
Thu Sep 13 15:36:28 BST 2007

Cliff Deamer wrote:
> Hi Steve
> Thanks for the demo on this subject, I found it very useful but I am now
> overwhelmed with information.
> To sort me out perhaps you can tell me exactly what hardware (PDA or
> such) you use for this purpose and if you were starting from scratch
> what would you get.
> I know you said TomTom was not suitable (that's what I have) but looking
> at the list on the website gives too many options. I want to make it as
> simple as possible.
> Any input appreciated.
> Cheers  Cliff

I'll copy this to the LUG list in case it's generally useful.

I use an Acer n35 PDA, but that's an old model. Newer models may have
better built-in GPS hardware. Alternatively you can just get a phone or
PDA with Bluetooth and use a separate GPS receiver. If I was starting
from scratch and had the budget I might go for the latter approach.

The software I use is

http://www.outdoor-gps.de/odgps/

It's pretty good, but has not been developed lately. The other one I'm
looking at is BSGPSPDA, listed at

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Making_Tracks_with_Homebrew-ware#PocketPC_2002

There's some discussion of TomTom at

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/TomTom

but I've not looked into that. I like my PDA as it can do lots of
different things, including TomTom when I need it.

There are also dedicated devices like the NaviGPS

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/NaviGPS

I considered something like that, but wanted more versatility.

As usual with buying gadgets it's difficult to recommend something
without knowing your budget and requirements.