[Herts] Really geeky web page

Ian Gregory ianji at zenatode.org.uk
Sun Sep 30 14:07:19 BST 2007

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 08:37:14AM +0100, Steve Clark wrote:

> http://markwoodman.com/

Cool.

> I'm mulling over changing my site again. I like the simplicity of
> Pyblosxom.

One comment about your site Steve. I used siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com
to find pages that link to my site. There were over 400 pages but the
vast majority were all links from pages at Bag of Spoons. That is because
your "friends" links appear on every page of your site.

This might be seen to be a good thing from my point of view because
lots of links might mean higher page rank, but then Google probably
doesn't take notice of multiple links from the same site. Indeed they
would probably have to guard against artificial page rank inflation
methods like creating a set of sites with lots of links to each
other. The other thing is that it sort of "pollutes" the Yahoo!
results page for me. I can't easily find other links to my site
because I have to go through many pages of results looking for the
ones that are not from Bag of Spoons (the results don't seem to be
in any particular order).

This is not a major problem or anything. It seems I could download the
list of links from Yahoo! and then sort/process them myself. I am
just pointing out one of the implications of your site design that
you may not have thought about:-)

There is a similar "problem" that has arisen since adding ICBM
coordinates to my website. Now when I use Google Webmaster Tools
to look at pages that link to my site I see many URLs of the form
http://geourl.org/near?lat=X&long=Y, although in this case they
are all grouped together in the results so it is easier to ignore
them.

Ian

--
Ian Gregory