[Herts] On the scrounge for a hard drive

David Honour thegoatee at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Dec 20 07:31:03 UTC 2008

I also have spare drives, i think a 20gig and a 40gig (had windoze me
on it which died, but i put Gentoo on it and it seemed ok).

Puppy Linux, yeah, i've played with that, it's on my sisters rebuilt
machine (80gig hdd (mostly empty but the old one died and so this was
the replacement in case she used it for mp3s), 256mb ram, athlon xp
processor, nvidia 5900 graphics) it runs perfectly happily on that. I
like it, the install process is a bit odd, but, its a fairly quick and
usable system. A great thing about it is it caches the whole disk to ram
(assuming you have 128mb or more) and you can use it to burn disks or
play DVDs on systems with only 1 disk drive that would otherwise be too
slow (for example badly maintained xp installs), it'll fly on the
hardware.