[Herts] Linux Audio / Demos

Malcolm Smith lists at thesmith.org.uk
Fri Feb 15 14:15:13 GMT 2008

[From off-list correspondence...]
On Sat, Jan 12, 2008 at 09:57:44PM +0000, Steve Clark wrote:

> I may have mentioned some time about having a music sub-group in the LUG
> for those who are interested. We could host at our respective homes to
> demonstrate stuff to avoid carting loads of gear around. Just a thought.

Yes. Since 2005(!) I've been intending to invite HertsLUG round for an
evening of Free Audio Software at my house, but can never get the place
wired-up/tidy/working enough. At present most of my gadgets and audio
hard/software are embarrassingly silent - I must get that sorted as my
no.2 priority now, once I start earning a living (please, Angels :-)
Give me a few months...

It would have to be an invite-only thing since there is limited space,
so let me know if you are interested and I'll keep you in mind. For
security reasons I need to know you in person beforehand (so come to
HertsLUG meetings) - I can't just be inviting total strangers here to
plunder my gear! (Not that I would ever suspect/accuse Linux users ;-)

I'll announce again on this list when I'm ready... (don't hold your
breath!)

I assume that anyone interested is at least subscribed to the Linux Audio
Announce list; I've had to disable receipt of messages from Linux Audio
Users because that list is high-traffic, so I just lurk in the archives.
(I have been reading it on+off since 2001, posting (rarely) as spock.)
And the Linux Audio Developers' list is just way over my head ;-)

Details of these lists at:
http://lad.linuxaudio.org/

David's OpenGL demo at the last meeting on February 13th was interesting,
but had imagined something more like this:

Wistfully casts mind back...
http://linux-sound.org/demo.html
(some 404s, but should be some goodies in there)

My sad olde machine can't handle OpenGL, but maybe if anyone finds
something there they want to show, we could play it at the next meeting.
Of course, nowadays, eye-candy is built into the OS ;-)

Cheers
--
Malcolm
http://www.thesmith.org.uk/music/studio/