[Herts] Demos

Steve Clark steve at bagofspoons.net
Thu Feb 21 11:59:16 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 19 February 2008 22:42:13 Malcolm Smith wrote:
> > Wistfully casts mind back...
> > http://linux-sound.org/demo.html
> > (some 404s, but should be some goodies in there)

I've not run any Linux demos, but I used to be amazed by some of the stuff I
ran on my Amiga.

> It's suddenly all back in vogue:
>
> POV-Ray Short Code Animation Winners
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/02/16/1324228

Very clever stuff. Now that the average PC is so powerful it can do amazing
things anyway, so I guess the challenge is in doing it with minimal code.
These POV animations were generated with 512 bytes or less of code! I know
that it needs a powerful application to run them, but it's still impressive.

> Art with a Mathematical Twist
> http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/02/17/1945211

Memories of writing a Mandelbrot program on my BBC micro. I've done other
versions since. It used to be the standard thing I wrote in any new language.
Most recently I did one in C#, but lost the source code. That one was neat as
it actually allowed zooming in with the mouse.

I used to do a lot of playing around with mathematical graphics stuff back
when it might take hours to render even simple stuff. If only I had the time
to get into it again.

I would like to get my kids into some sort of programming. Any suggestions on
something simple for them to start with? I'm thinking of something that would
generate simple graphics like Logo did in the old days.

> I waited a couple of days before posting them, to minimise the Slashdot
> effect on their servers.

As if HertsLUG would have much effect ;)