[Herts] Projector?

Malcolm Smith lists at thesmith.org.uk
Mon Feb 16 13:57:06 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 09:54:16AM -0000, ROBERTS, Mike wrote:

> Urrrm. Just a few years ago the same spec, say 1024X768 or 800x600,

I think 800x600 is too limiting. Even 1024x768 is a compromise. Excuse
my ignorance, but does a projector require changing X settings, and
running the main display at the same resolution? Most people's machines
are set up with larger screens, so does that mean their desktop and
applications would be squashed/cropped? Ardour (the audio software that
David was demonstrating this time and on future occasions) has a minimum
resolution of about 1200x700 for it's main Editor window, just to fit
the GUI in. Having to reconfigure things when arriving at a venue to
give a talk is not ideal for someone who's already got plenty else on
their mind. Or does it Just Work(TM)? I assume just showing
websites/OpenOffice presentations wouldn't matter so much.

> would be 1 to 2K ! That is a significant drop to me. The price range
> you have found was the area I was thinking off although it might be
> wise to spend a bit more if folks were willing. Maybe we will be lucky
> and get one for free from a generous benefactor? Perhaps we should
> consider trying to get one sponsored by a local IT company?

This last option is a fine idea. Just wait until local/global companies
see the pictures I took of our packed meeting room last time, they'll
be queuing up to sponsor our thriving Scene. If it weren't for the weak
economy, this would be a brilliant plan, and even still might just work.
If anyone knows of/works for a company who might sponsor such a thing,
please start a new thread.

> If we dont get a free one then lets look at the cost. So 250 quid, 10
> of us put in 25 quid each and it is done.
>
> Lets be positive ;0) I'll put in 50 if it helps to get it going.

Well sadly I have to save up for a car (*sigh*) and new comp, so £25 is
loadsamoney for something of limited use.

> As for reliability and lamp life. Is a projector for a LUG that meets
> for a few hours once a month really going to hammer that 2000hr lamp
> life? Let's see meeting runs from 7-30 till, say, 11-00 of that time
> things seldom get going 'till 8-30 and probably wind down nearer 10 to
> 10-30. So that is approx 2 hours a month. 12 months is 24 hours, if it
> is used *every* month. 2000 / 24 =  83.333.  So 83 years use ;0)

Although it's the 18-hour/day burnout that it'll get from Nicolas
playing Doom in ASCII-art text mode that I'm more concerned with.

We did discuss the idea of a projector ages ago, and thought that it
would be best if people made (sensible) use of it between meeting times
too. IIRC someone suggested that if people chipped in for the cost,
they'd get it for one or two months of the year accordingly, and it
could also be available for others to 'rent' if they had a need for it.

Cheers
--
Malcolm
http://www.thesmith.org.uk/     Personal site of unfathomable depths