[Herts] Meeting Equipment Improvements?

ROBERTS, Mike mike.roberts at astrium.eads.net
Mon Feb 16 14:19:44 UTC 2009

> > cleanly or does it just get turned off?
>
> Erm... it gets cleanly powered off :-)

Ah ha ;)

> > * The networking "kit": On a couple of occasions finding
> the HertsLUG
> > kit for the meetings, in the office, has proved a bit
> tricky. Mostly,
> > I suspect, because it is kept in a black bin bag which seems to get
> > stuffed in a different place each time or gets moved as
> people may not
> > realise what it is. How long will it be before someone accidentally
> > throws the whole lot away?
>
> Cleaning lady: "Hmmm, what's all this junk...? Olde PIII server?
>                 Aw, chuck it..."

he hee hopefully not ;)

> > * Network cables: We could do with some new ones. At least
> one is duff
>
> Well, after the last meeting, I was given the supposedly
> 'duff' one to throw away, so I brought it back to feed to my
> cable serpent. But just one last test proves it to be
> working, by in fact sending this message down it, even
> jiggling the cable still works.

Hmmm ah well. It deffinitely didnt get a link light up on the router
wehn we plogged it in to the wall socket.

> > which leads to 10 minutes of head scratching each month as
> we try to
> > figure out why the interweb doesn't work. The cable from the office
> > router to the smoothwall  appears to be too short so obstructs the
> > chair / desk if someone is trying to work at it.
>
> Nobody works at that desk at night IIUC.

Well there was a chap at it last week.  He let us in to the office to
get the bits. Wouldnt hurt to get a longer more suitable cable anyway.

> > * Power: There aren't enough extension leads
>
> Oops, my bad. I am custodian of one HertsLUG extension lead
> (18m rotary 2-way), but I often forget to bring it (if I
> attend). Similarly some PC speakers. There might be a limit
> on how much stuff we can leave in the building without paying
> them rent to house our 42U rack ;-)

I think that a cable reel, depending on it's size, and other bits, might
fit in the box I have in mind.

> > and we need a dedicated one
> > for the smoothwall as the socket it uses has now been taken
> to be used
> > by some additional kit in the office I think.
>
> That socket is just for something they only use in the daytimes IIRC.

It was a radion I think, which admittedly wasnt on. I just was just
worried about unplugging someone elses kit without asking first, which
we did in the end ;).

> > I would like to offer the following suggestions / solutions:-
> >
> > * I will donate a "Really Useful Box" # to put all the
> networking kit
> > in. It can be labelled up and will, IMHO ;),  be a better
> thing to put
> > the meeting kit in than a bin bag.
> >
> > # For those familiar with "really useful boxes" they now
> make a more
> > rugged box in either white or black (recycled plastic) both
> of which
> > are opaque so you cant see what is inside.
>
> Cool! Or a cardboard box is cheaper, and slightly more
> upmarket than our bin-liner. Bear in mind that in an office,
> any kind of box with a lid will end up having things stacked
> on top of it. We should find out how much space (and what
> shape) there is in the corner of the office, and get their
> permission before buying/getting a box.

Good point re the checking it is OK first. I will bring an example box
along next time and we can make enquieries

> > * Next meeting I'll take away all the kit check / test the network
> > cables, get the extension leads PAT tested,
>
> Does PAT testing cost money?

not if I ask nicely ;)

> > mount the Wireless access point and hub and an extension block on a
> > "lump of wood" (TM)
>
> # mount -t ext4 /dev/net /block/wood

very good :0)

> > so that they can be set up and just lifted out of the box
> and plugged
> > in for each meeting.
> >
> > * I have already bought a couple more 6 way extension leads
> so we have
> > more sockets. + get one for the smooth wall in the office
> and possibly
> > a longer one so that we can get power to the second row of
> tables in
> > the middle of the room.
>
> Well I have the LUG's 18m one - that should do it.

Excellent :)

> > * Label the WAP with it's details so it is easy for first time
> > visitors to find out what they are.
> >
> > * It might be an idea to keep a spare keyboard and mouse in the box
> > "just in case"? (or two? PS/2 and USB of each?) I am sure
> we can find
> > a few tucked away in our stacks of redundant kit ;o)
>
> Good idea, but we must not initiate any kind of "Bring all
> yer olde junk"
> instuction, else we're going to be deluged knowing our crowd.

Indeed.  The idea was to get a small standard kit of parts of essential
items. Not to start hoarding rubbish. i do enough of that at home ;)

> > * Get some new network cables: one long enough to safely reach the
> > office router without getting in anyone's way (Label it up
> so people
> > in the office don't pull it out); several 1 to 5 m network
> cables (5
> > ports on the hub?) so we have known good cables.
>
> Hopefully, between us, there is no need to pay money for
> network cables.
> Or any of the above, for that matter.

I agree, dont want to spend anything more than the barest minimum.
Donations of a small number of known good network cables and other bits
welcome but it wouldnt be an excuse for a clearout, unless you want to
see if other LUG members might be interested in finding other folks
"junk" a home ;).

> > What do you think? Worth doing? Anyone got any other suggestions on
> > how to make things quicker and easier to set up?
>
> A wiki? :-)

Anyone had a chance to look at other LUGs and see what they use yet? If
Nicolas is willing then we should be able to get something installed on
the lug server. everything I have read so far seems to say that it is OK
to do it as long as we play fair by the LUG hosts.

Mike 8-{>

This email (including any attachments) may contain confidential
and/or privileged information or information otherwise protected
from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, please
notify the sender immediately, do not copy this message or any
attachments and do not use it for any purpose or disclose its
content to any person, but delete this message and any attachments
from your system. Astrium disclaims any and all liability if this
email transmission was virus corrupted, altered or falsified.
-o-
Registered Office: