[Herts] Great BBC open source radio broadcast and update.

Steve Clark steve at bagofspoons.net
Tue Jun 9 12:18:48 UTC 2009

2009/6/9 Malcolm Smith <lists at thesmith.org.uk>

> On Mon, Jun 08, 2009 at 01:23:00PM +0100, jayybee wrote:
> > To all in the list, have a listen to this great broadcast. It really is
> > worth a listen for 30 mins....... :
> >

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00kp806/Inside_the_Virtual_Anthill_Open_Source_Means_Business/

I caught part of the original broadcast due to someone mentioning in on
identi.ca(!) I'd like to hear the rest of it.

>   "To play Inside the Virtual Anthill: Open Source Means Business
>   please first install Flash."
>
> Ugh! How wrong is that?
>
> Never fear, Linux is here...
>
> http://code.google.com/p/get-flash-videos
> http://linuxcentre.net/getiplayer/

I've used this getiplayer to download some radio and TV shows. Sometimes I
want to transfer them to my PDA for mobile listening. I know this is in
breach of the iplayer conditions, but is it any worse than recording the
broadcast? I have used MythTV in the past, but haven't got it set up at the
moment and never worked out how to get it to automatically convert the
broadcast MPEG into a convenient audio file. In our house we watch a fair
bit of iplayer using the browser on our Wii so we can use the big TV.

I may have to check out that script with the ITV service as that normally
requires Silverlight. Not that I watch much on ITV.

See you on Wednesday.