[Herts] Tonight's talk: Optimising Linux for SSDs / +FREE STUFF!

Steve Clark steve at bagofspoons.net
Wed May 13 15:48:57 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 13 May 2009 16:42:45 Malcolm Smith wrote:
> > I'd like to give a short talk/discussion at tonight's Herts LUG
> > meeting about optimising GNU/Linux filesystems for use with SSDs
> > (Solid-State Drive). It may also apply to other OS's.

> Just to clarify: I'll be presenting some original ideas I have about
> SSD usage, as well as a basic grounding in which models to buy/avoid.
> Don't expect a lavish one-hour PowerPoint demo with benchmarks and
> posh biscuits! I'll be working from olde-style paper notes - if I get
> time to write any!

Sounds interesting. I expect we could all be using SSD in a few years.

> And I have some special offers for you, Ladies and Gentlemen!
>
> For ONE NIGHT ONLY, I am giving away some classic collectable rare
> early editions of Linux Format and Linux Magazine, dating from
> BackInTheDays(TM) of Issue #1 in 2000! For free! Not just that, a
> Sinclair ZX Spectrum too! There may well be other stuff soon too
> (Beebs, 486, PII, PIII machines if anyone is interested). See:

I may bring along my own spare bits of kit. Last chance to grab them before I
try Freecycle. If it's been lying around for several years then the chances of
me doing anything with it are pretty slim. I just can't bear to dump working
kit.