[Herts] Another SSD option

Steve Clark steve at bagofspoons.net
Tue Nov 10 12:47:15 UTC 2009

There was some discussion of solid state drives a while back. This looks
like an interesting entry-level option

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/11/09/review_storage_kingston_ssd_now_v_40gb/

40GB for £70. I wouldn't call 40GB 'bugger all'. That should be plenty of
all the applications you need. They say Windows 7 needs 20GB. Really? How
many DVDs does it come on?

I'll consider one at some point. My next planned upgrade is to get a large
LCD screen. The PC is fast enough for my non-gaming needs.

BTW I upgraded my Kubuntu system to 9.10 Karmic Koala at the weekend. No
problems during the upgrade, but have picked up a strange problem. When 3
users are logged in the 3rd gets their X session killed at random times.
Very annoying as I'm often 3rd one in when I get home and wife+kids are
already logged in. Seems perfectly stable with just 2 users.

http://bagofspoons.net