[Herts] Recovering a faulty drive

Tony Friis tony-lug at friis.co.uk
Tue Jul 6 12:31:33 UTC 2010

If you need to recover the file system structure on the HD I've used the
testdisk utility ( http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk ) on the
System Rescue CD ( http://sysresccd.org ) and have successfully
recovered both partitions and files.

Five years? should be good for double that. I've got some recycled ones
at least that old. The ones from the 90's tend to be a bit small and slow!

On the other hand if it's taking a long time to boot, then it's probably
having trouble initialising the HD, doesn't bode well.

Good luck

Tony