[Herts] Making a Skype Photo Frame as a Linux Appliance for my Granny!

David Honour david at foolswood.co.uk
Sun Jan 2 10:58:17 UTC 2011

I have been considering this, I found that skype for linux has auto
answer and auto video in the options, so all you need is a DE that can
distinguish between the skype windows and manage the layers (so video
is in front, other skype is behind the slideshow). I know this is
possible in fluxbox, don't really know about anything else.

I think that having something you can administer remotely and that
changes will stay over reboot is worth having. In case of hdd corruption
having an emergency boot partition/cd and setting grub up to use it in
case of failure would be worth doing, just something command line with
ssh.

In terms of which distro, it doesn't really matter, but it is easier to
put stuff on than to take it out. On the other hand if space is not an
issue then if you can find something that has what you need then you
could use that. However distros with releases rather than rolling
updates could be difficult to maintain given you don't have access to
the machine physically.

Hope there's something in there,
David