[Herts] Hitchin Hackspace

Steve Clark steve at bagofspoons.net
Thu Oct 4 10:33:28 UTC 2012

The hackspace group have a social session next Tuesday and a build night
the following Monday. Unfortunately I probably won't get to either session
this month.

http://hitchin.hackspace.org.uk/

Nicolas, I am still intending to try some guitar effects circuits some
time. If you can bring along some assorted transistors, diodes, resistors,
capacitors next week then that may get me started. I don't seem to have
much in the way of components these days, but do have breadboards and power
supplies I can use.

Over on http://linuxmusicians.com there has been some animated discussion
on the state of Linux audio support. One guy has been posting long rants
about how crap it is. I can see his point (to some extent). I don't know
how many people work on this stuff, but I suspect their priority is just to
get some sort of I/O working on any new hardware. Full support of high bit
rates and other functions may be a luxury. I've been trying to work out
what the current state of USB audio on Linux is, but most of what I find is
either old or too technical for me. Luckily my ancient PCI interface is
fully supported. When it comes to building my next PC I either need to make
sure it has PCI or find an alternative. Apparently the latest Intel
chipsets (Z77) do some sort of PCI 'emulation' that causes audio problems,
according to the guy posting the rants.

http://bagofspoons.net