[Hudlug] UK is really a 3rd world nation when it comes to Internet connectivity! :-(

Tim Bray hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Dec 17 19:43:01 2002

Chris Lindley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just recieved the following email from a mate who lives in Hong Kong!
>

>>Just to give you Broadband envy, this latest company is 8mb upload and
>>download for about 12 pounds a month.

One of our customers in Norway has 40megs both ways for about 40 pounds
per month.

There is no contention on this, but you do get a monthly bandwidth
allowance, and after that you are charged per gig of transfer.  Which I
think is a really reasonable way of doing it.

In Switzerland, 32 megs over fibre is standard, with 30 megs for TV and
2 megs for internet.

If you are good at Italian then take a read of
http://www.fastweb.it/index.php

This is an Italian ISP's offering.  Again, fibre into the home.

I would dearly like to roll out something like Fastweb in the UK

I wish BT would stop fannying around, forget about ADSL and get fibre
into every green junction box, and then run fibre or VDSL into
everybodies house.    And get it available nationally.

Tim