[Hudlug] VMS mail

Chris Lindley hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Nov 10 11:28:01 2002

On Sat, 2002-11-09 at 11:42, Tim wrote:
> Chris Lindley wrote:
>
> > Does anybody know much about VMS?
> >
> > I have a larg amount of mail in my old VMS a/c at University.
> >
> > IDeally I would like to transfer all my VMS mail over to my Linux
> > machine.
>

> Is there an IMAP server running on the VMS machine ?
>
> If so, fire up mozilla, setup the account, and just drag the messages
> into mozilla local folders (Which are stored in mbox format).

Hi,

I'm afraid not. All the mail is stored in [.mail.dir] as a set of text
files, one per email.

At the moment all I can think of is writing a perl script to change a
concatenated version of these emails to mbox format.

Could be difficult as I'm only just starting to learn Perl.  Good way to
learn though, methinks!!

Cheer
Chris