[Hudlug] VMS mail

Chris Lindley hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Nov 10 20:23:01 2002

On Sun, 2002-11-10 at 13:46, Tim wrote:

Hi,

thanks for replying.

> Chris Lindley wrote:
>
> > I'm afraid not. All the mail is stored in [.mail.dir] as a set of text
> > files, one per email.
> > At the moment all I can think of is writing a perl script to change a
> > concatenated version of these emails to mbox format.
>
> If each file starts with From:
> Then no need for perl, it is as simple as
> cat * > fred

It's not that simple, as each file is just on one line, and have
different headers to normal unix-type ones!

> However, I suggest that you look at this page http://andrew.triumf.ca/email/
>
> There are some ready made scripts on there.
>
> This resulted from a google search of `vms mail convert`.

Thanks, good page.

Unfortunately the VMS machine I'm using does not have perl installed.
Otherwise that script woudl be ideal!  ..adn I very much doubt that the
sysadmin would install it, as I asked for VI to be installed over 2yrs
ago, and he said when he had time he would!!!

Also the other way, i.e. a folder at a time, would be very
time-consuming as I have around about 50 folders.  Perhaps that'll have
to be the way though!

I am learning quite a bit of Perl today though!! :-)

Cheers
Chris

--
  Chris Lindley