[Hudlug] Dammed Gentoo!!

Chris Lindley hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Nov 12 11:03:01 2002

Hi all,

Hmmm, this Gentoo thing is not as easy as _certain_ people have made
out!!

Initially discovered that my scsi card will not boot from a cd.
Hrumph!!!

It finds a bootable image on the cd, and then... just stays there!!

Anyway in comes an old IDE cdrom to pop in the machine.

OK livecd-basic-1.4_rc1-r2.iso then get s booted.

Everything seems fine, it recognises my scsi card.  However I see what
looks like a kernel panic message whip past the screen. However it keeps
on booting so I assume it's just some other error message.

However after symlinking the cd to the tempfs filesystem it switches to
initlevel 3.  It sits here for a while, then I get "initlevel3
respawning too fast, waiting 5 minutes".  This message appears 5 times,
and then that's about it!!

Now am I doing something incredibly wrong?

Any help/advice would be appreciated!

I have though of installing from my current Debian setup, however I just
do not have enough diskspace!!

Cheers
Chris
My system is fairly standard:-

cpu             duron 750 o/c to 1.0
mobo            Abit kt7a
heat sink       globalwin fop32-1
scsi card       Tekram 390f
Ram             256meg pc133 generic
                256meg Crucial cas-2 pc133
Gfx             Matrox G400max DH

Scsi bus:-
0,0,0     0) 'IBM     ' 'DNES-309170W    ' 'SA30' Disk
0,1,0     1) 'SEAGATE ' 'ST15150N        ' '0023' Disk
0,2,0     2) 'TOSHIBA ' 'XM6201TASUN32XCD' '1103' Removable CD-ROM
0,3,0     3) 'YAMAHA  ' 'CRW4416S        ' '1.0f' Removable CD-ROM
0,4,0     4) 'IOMEGA  ' 'ZIP 100         ' 'J.03' Removable Disk

--
  Chris Lindley
  chris.lindley@scotgate.org          chrishl@bmb.leeds.ac.uk