[Hudlug] SCSI question: mixing wide and narrow devices!

Chris Lindley hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Oct 5 11:36:00 2002

Hi all,

I'm after some SCSI advice for my system. =20

My system has 5 SCSI devices.
Running on a TEkram 390f host adaptor is:-
LVD IBM 9.1. gig drive, terminated with an active terminator.
Seagate narrow 4.3 gig drive
Running on a Adaptec PCI card.  (Am not too sure of the model but it runs=
 fine=20
with the AIC7xxx driver):-
Yamaha CDR 4416s
Toshiba XM6201 cd drive (pulled from a SUN).
Iomega ZIP 100 drive

Now I separated these devices, as supposedly ZIP drives do not follow cor=
rect=20
scsi protocols.  Since I had the zip drive on a separate card I though I =
may=20
as well put the cd drives on as well. =20

Now I'm not too sure.  I've noticed when doing any burning of cd's on the=
 fly=20
then the system does become a little bogged down.  Also I've just noticed=
=20
when copying a large file (>600meg) from a cd drive then I get scsi i/o=20
errors and the copy fails.  This seems to happen with both drives.

All the cables are OK, and I've terminated everything to the best of my=20
ability.

Now since data going from the the drives to the host adaptor then onto th=
e PCI=20
bus then back onto the other host adaptor, this should be less efficient =
than=20
having the data flow direct through the SCSI bus. =20

Hmmm, the more I think about it the more I think I was pretty wrong in=20
thinking this second host adaptor would make the system more efficient. =20
Perhaps I should move everything bar the zip drive to the Tekram card?

Go on, any SCSI gurus out there?  Any advice on running an all scsi syste=
m=20
with linux?

System is:-
Abit kt7a + Duron 1.0ghz
640meg ram
Matrox g400
3com "boomerang" 10/100 NIC=20

cdrecord --scanbus output is:-

scotgate2:/proc/scsi/aic7xxx# cdrecord --scanbus
Cdrecord 1.11a34 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 J=F6rg Schil=
ling
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'schily-0.6'
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'IBM     ' 'DNES-309170W    ' 'SA30' Disk
        0,1,0     1) 'SEAGATE ' 'ST15150N        ' '0023' Disk
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *
scsibus1:
        1,0,0   100) *
        1,1,0   101) *
        1,2,0   102) 'TOSHIBA ' 'XM6201TASUN32XCD' '1103' Removable CD-RO=
        1,3,0   103) 'YAMAHA  ' 'CRW4416S        ' '1.0f' Removable CD-RO=
        1,4,0   104) 'IOMEGA  ' 'ZIP 100         ' 'J.03' Removable Disk
        1,5,0   105) *
        1,6,0   106) *
        1,7,0   107) *

Cheers
Chris

--=20
  Chris Lindley                                 =20
  chris.lindley@scotgate.org          chrishl@bmb.leeds.ac.uk
  ICQ#157144010=09    AIM#fergycool    jabber#fergy    IRC#Ferg
  Climb up it, kayak down it + make sure it runs on GNU/Linux