[Hudlug] OpenOffice.org font problem!

Chris Lindley hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Sep 4 15:31:00 2002

Hi,

Thanks to all the people at the meet last night, who were coming up with
ideas as to why I'm having this dammed problem!

To recap,  I've got some amino acid alignments in a document.  They are
a mixture of red/blue and black text. They are all in Andale mono, and
should be monospaced and perfectly aligned!

However they are not!  Changing the colour to just black, means all the
characters are perfectyl aligned!

So WTF!!!!

I've had plenty of feedbackfrom the OpenOffice.org mailing list, but so
far people have not had any correct idea as to how this is happening

To try to see if it;'s a Openoffice prob, or Linux, I've installed OOo
on a windows machine.  The text is perfectly fine there!

So I assume that this is a problem with XFree86 handling Coloured
characters fonts!

I'm afraid I dont; really know where to go next!

I would appreciate it, if I could email the (small) file to somebody who
could open it in another Linux OpenOffice installation to see if the
problem is there!

My OS is GNU/Linux Debian Sid distro, using XFree86 4.2.  All the
standard Debian fonts are installed!  I'm not using any font server,
just the Xserver.  Although I have tried XFSTT, and it was no different!
(in fact it was worse, as a few bold fonts went walkies!!)

I;ve tried many different monospaced fonts and all have the same
problem.

BTW was well impressed how the Windows version opened the document
created in the Linux version.  This is a long document with many
figures, tables and bitmaps.  All seem perfectly fine!

Cheers
Chris

--
  Chris Lindley