[Hudlug] Blueyonder Broadband

Anne Wilson hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Sep 7 17:55:00 2002

On Saturday 07 Sep 2002 5:37 pm, you wrote:

> All NTL did for me was install the cable left everything else to me.  Some
> instruction for windoze and that was it.

It all sounds depressing.  We've gone adsl this week, and it couldn't have
been simpler.  We chose Mailbox for the ISP and bought our own router (SMC
Barricade).  Mailbox said they did not know that exact model, but would give
us what help they could.  The Barricade comes with an excellent manual (one
reason why we bought it).  There was one small problem - Mailbox had
mis-typed our login, so it failed.  I gave them a ring next morning and it
was sorted there and then.  We thought we had a big problem, but they stayed
on the telephone with me for an hour, with every patience and politeness,
while we tried to sort it.  As it turned out it was a configuration problem
(the w2k box was still trying to get dhcp from me instead of the router).  We
only realised this when I found that the win98 machines were working.  It
took me a few minutes to find the entry that changed my linux box over
(selecting eth0 instead of ppp0 as default connection).

Can't praise Mailbox enough, and this 'always on' is great for list email :-)

Anne