[Hudlug] Red Hat 8

Chris Harkness hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jan 17 19:16:12 2003

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C2AD33.D0AAFF80

Hi, i was at your meeting on tuesday, trying to find out reasons for not =
being able to install linux on my computer, i managed to get RedHat 8 on =
after installing it on another machine, and putting the hard drive in =
mine, everything is working fine except for 3 quite important things

1. I cant get the network working, if i go in to the network =
configuration and set it up, it says it cannot activate device Eth0, it =
is definitely the correct card.

2. It has detected and installed the drivers for my sound card, yet if i =
attempt to play the sound test it makes no sound, and if i go to the =
mixer it says it isnt able to open the audio device, please make sure it =
is in the kernel.

3. It wont detect either of my modems, all of which are alledgedly =
compatiable, one is an Intel (Ambient) HaM PCI, the other is a PSION =
Dacom external 33k serial modem, which it doesnt detect while probing, =
and isnt detected by KUDZU on startup, the Intel modem on the other hand =
is detected as 'unknown manufacturer : unknown device'.

Any help on solving any of the issues will be gratefully recieved.
Thanks
Chris Harkness

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C2AD33.D0AAFF80

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi, i was at your meeting on tuesday, =
trying to=20
find out reasons for not being able to install linux on my computer, i =
managed=20
to get RedHat 8 on after installing it on another machine, and putting =
the hard=20
drive in mine, everything is working fine except for 3 quite important=20
things</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>1. I cant get the network working, if i =
go in to=20
the network configuration and set it up, it says it cannot activate =
device Eth0,=20
it is definitely the correct card.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>2. It has detected and installed the =
drivers for my=20
sound card, yet if i attempt to play the sound test it makes no sound, =
and if i=20
go to the mixer it says it isnt able to open the audio device, please =
make sure=20
it is in the kernel.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>3. It wont detect&nbsp;either of my =
modems, all of=20
which are alledgedly compatiable, one is&nbsp;an Intel (Ambient) HaM =
PCI, the=20
other is&nbsp;a PSION Dacom external 33k serial modem, which it doesnt =
detect=20
while probing, and isnt detected by KUDZU on startup, the Intel modem on =
the=20
other hand is detected as 'unknown manufacturer : unknown =
device'.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Any help on solving any of the issues =
will be=20
gratefully recieved.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Chris =
Harkness</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C2AD33.D0AAFF80--