[Hudlug] Organisational Things

Tim Bray hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jan 17 19:16:16 2003

Hi All,

I'm mainly on about the website at http://www.hud.lug.org.uk/  and this
maillinglist.

I'm not trying to say how things should be done, just open the ideas in my
head for other people.

1) The website doesn't mention the maillinglist.  Instead it has forums.
I hate forums, and it splits up the discussion into 2 places (maillinglist
and forum).
If you want it on the web, then just look at the archives.

[Mr webmaster, please include links to the maillinglist and its archives
on the website.  And maybe get rid of the forums, or point out at the top
that most people use the maillinglist]

2) Who is the maintainer of this maillinglist.  It would appear that
nobody looks at the moderation queue, because whenever I post from the
wrong email address, I get the mail saying `your post needs approving` but
nobody ever approves it.

[maybe a few people should know the password for the maillinglist control
panel, and maybe a few people should have their email address put in the
list of people who get warned about adminitrative alerts that the
maillinglist  manager generates.  And the people who do know have access
to work the maillinglist should have their email addresses on the
website, so we know who they are.   I use the same software for another
maillinglist I use, if we are looking for a volunteer.]

3) Will Adam please come to something.  I don't mind if somebody else
fiddles the web pages (providing it follows what most people want), but
please let us know who you are.  And come to
stuff.

4) Shak, maybe you would like to repost what you said on the forum on
here.

5) I don't think it is appropriate for hudlug to have a committee or
anything like that, but I do feel a bit annoyed that I can't talk to
whoever does the maillinglist/website at a meeting.

I've seen a couple of other non linux groups go a bit pear shaped because
the focus of the group becomes sorting out the committee and political
rather than doing stuff.

Maybe we should propose a chairman or similar to informally keep track of
what is going on.

6) And where is the IRC channel for hudlug ?  [and why isn't this on the
web]

I'm not too fussed, because we seem to be able to make it down the pub
every so often :)

Tim