[Hudlug] Mailinglist

Tim Bray hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jan 20 23:18:00 2003

Anne Wilson wrote:

> I may be thick, but I never figured out what I needed that password for,
> anyway :)

You need it to change options about your subscription.  If we had
private archives (hudlug is public), you would need it to look at the
archives as well.

For example, with old majordomo maillinglist all of the authentication
was based on the senders email address.  We all know how easy that is to
fake.

So by sending the password out to the subscribed email address, it
allows the person actually receiving the mail to play with the subscription.

It isn't amazing security, but is about the correct level for a list
like this.

Tim
(who doesn't want to admit to knowing too much about mailman)