[Hudlug] html to rtf

Tim Bray hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jan 30 21:04:02 2003

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Anne Wilson wrote:

> Can anyone suggest an app that could open an html file and save it as .rtf?
> The links need to be visible as an index, but not as an active link, so I
> don't see any reason why I shouldn't be able to.  So far, though I haven't
> had any success.  If I could do that I could import it into PagePlus (under
> win4lin) and export it as a pdf.

html to rtf is quite a crazy thing to do.

If you just want to do html to pdf, then I would say the easiest way would
be to use html2ps and then ps2pdf

Although, one good way to do structured documents with an index is to use
latex.  Then you can use latex2html to put it on the web, and get nicely
formatted postscript documents out for printing.

You may be able to use gnuhtml2latex to get started.

You can do similar with Docbook I think, but I'm not sure how that works.

I'm not a latex expert, but it is something I've always been meaning to
learn.  I use Lyx a lot though, which is an almost wysiwyg front end to
latex.  It is good because you can knock out really nice formatted
documents much faster then with word.  You just type, tell it which bit is
a heading and it does it all for you.

Tim