[Hudlug] file permissions

Charles Blackburn hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Jul 9 18:05:01 2003

to change ownership on a file/files within a directory

chown <useR>.<group> * (add -R for all subdirs/files)
or to just change the group: chgrp <group> * (add -R for all files/subdirs)

so for your example.....

chgrp office general -R

chmod only changes file permissions
so as long as they are owned by that group you then use chmod to give the relative permissions:

eg: group rwx - chmod 775 -R general (or chmod g+rwx -R general  if i remember right)

charles