[Hudlug] Broadband in the Colne Valley

Tim Bray hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Mar 27 23:32:00 2003

I know at least one person on here lives in the Colne Valley.

Anyway, there is a campaign running to get Slaithwaite Exchange ADSL
enabled on http://www.buzer.com/

Also, a mailinglist has been setup for people who are interested.

Subscribe at:

There was also a meeting in Marsden tonight where some guy from Kirklees
said some stuff.  Probably the most interesting thing was a map that
shows all of the telephone exchange areas around kirklees.

Kirklees are putting high speed connections into all of their buildings
(which includes schools).  But they are also on about letting busineses
use the network as well.

But he didn't mention anything about prices, availability, how it works
etc.  He was a bit thrown as well when I asked him about using the
network to backhaul wireless access.

Infact, I'm still trying to work out what the meeting really meant.

If anybody has contacts in other IT type groups in the area, then maybe
you want forward some of this message on.

Tim