[Hudlug] cheap adsl router

Charles Blackburn hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Mar 28 23:38:00 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-28 at 23:02, Tim Bray wrote:
> Charles Blackburn wrote:
> >
> > anyone know of a cheap (read max 70 inc vat) adsl router with 4 port
> > switch that works with pppoA?
>
> No.  And if you find one, then let me know.   The Speedtouch 510 is ok

aye i think i may have, i was looking @ the dlink myself, but i think  I
have come up with a winner. I happened to phone up  broadbandbuyer (i
think it was), they willing to send me an e-tech one on loan which has a
4 port switch in (even better), and if i like it then i can have it for
about 50-60 quid +shipping.

apparantly it's not too bad, so we shall see.

if that dont work then i'll have to "ask very nicely" (read con) me
father into lending me his credit card again :P to get a dlink 504 or
sth like that.

yea i was looking @ those, i'll keep it in mind just in case.

>  They are essentially paper weights for serious applications because they
>   hangup and need rebooting every few hours.

:(( how few is few ?? :)

> > Failing tI have a conexant based pci adsl modem but all the instructions
> > are for a 2.4.3 kernel and i run 2.4.20.
> You may be able to buy a Green frog off ebay for that price.  Presuming
> that you have USB and some time to play with drivers.
no usb that's the problem although I have a usb card, it's an old
machine which has problems sometimes dealing with the card.

> Or you could take a green frog and mix it with smoothwall.
> I've given up trying to find cheap ADSL gear and usually recommend to my
> customers that they spend a little bit more to get the quality up.
> We are at a disadvantage in the UK because most of the world is using
> PPPoE, which makes the PPPoA market smaller, and so higher prices.

well pppoe is mainly cable modems i've noticed and normal adsl they use
pppoa. I dunno why, cus pppoe is easier to implement iirc. oh well,
that's typical of isp's tho.

i'll keep them modems in mind and we'l;l see what happens. Thanx again
tim.

regards
charles