[Hudlug] potentially stupid question!

hudlug@mailman.lug.org.uk hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon May 5 20:44:00 2003

Hi everyone!

This may well be a stupid question with an easy answer... but I've
looked and not found the answer yet :-D

I've got a basic non-X install of RedHat running as a internet
gateway on an old PC with no keyboard or monitor.  At the moment, I'm
doing everything by logging in with SSH.

Is it possible to connect, do some work and maybe leave a program
running, then disconnect and then reconnect to the same shell later
on?  (i.e. when I reconnect I get the same shell I was looking at
before).  For example, can I connect, start an FTP download,
disconnect and then reconnect later on to see how the download is
going?

The only way I could think of doing it was to install X and VNC, as
that would allow me to reconnect to the same desktop... but it seems
overkill to install X on an internet gateway.

Like I say, I'm sure there might be an obvious solution, but I
haven't spotted it yet!!!

Cheers in advance
Davey P