[Hudlug] PC Plus PDF archive

Dave Pattern hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat May 31 11:48:00 2003

Hi all!

Not sure if this is of interest to anyone, but PC Plus magazine keep a PDF
archive of their back issues.  This is handy for me because it means I don't
have to keep a massive pile of old magazines lying around ...just in case I
ever need them :-)

http://www.pcplus.co.uk/pdf/

Because I'm sad and anal, I've been knocking up a little index of the
Masterclass PDF's (as they're usually the most interesting bits).  Here's
what's in issues 180 thru 196 just in case any of the articles tickle your
fancy:

LINUX - HELP, YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED
=====================================
[180]	CD install failures, Mounting floppy drives, Using dumb terminals,
Taking screengrabs.
[181]	Low memory and X, Sharing a mailbox, Entering text commands, Bouncing
emails.
[182]	Favourite favourites, Linux and Windows networking, No sound from XMMS
MP3 player, Burning Mandrake ISOs, Swap partition optimisation, Dumping vi
for pico, Configuring LILO, Removing Linux, Corrupted XFree86, Guide to
distributions.
[184]	Understanding ssh, How do I add a new drive?, Writing back-up CDs,
Keeping time.

LINUX - BEGINNERS
=================
[180]	How to set up XWindows
[181]	Command shells
[182]	Shell scripting
[183]	How to set up parallel and USB printers
[184]	GNOME demystified
[185]	How to network in Linux - part 1
[186]	How to network in Linux - part 2
[187]	Finding the right applications
[188]	How to run real Windows applications under Linux
[189]	How to make Linux emulate other OSs
[190]	How to watch DVDs from your Linux desktop
[191]	Back to basics (what is Linux?)
[192]	Choosing a Linux distribution
[193]	How to download complete Linux distos
[194]	Burning your own CDs under Linux
[195]	Digital imaging and Linux
[196]	Scanners and Linux

LINUX - ADVANCED
================
[180]	iproute2 and traffic management multi-path routing
[181]	How to manage traffic with iproute2
[182]	Using iptables to secure your network
[183]	Burning CDs using cdrecord
[184]	NIS and YP
[185]	MOSIX, POSIX and Linux
[186]	Linux High-Availability
[187]	Porting the Linux kernel using the UML project
[188]	Setting up network monitoring services
[189]	In a BIND (DNS & BIND)
[190]	The Logical Volume Manager
[191]	Left to its own devices (/dev)
[192]	IP over IP tunnelling
[193]	Installing SSH
[194]	Desirable redundancy (RAID)
[195]	Advanced Linux networking
[196]	Rolling out IPv6

WEB
===
[180]	Clickable image maps
[181]	Design essentials
[182]	Changing Content
[183]	Cascading Style Sheets
[184]	Framing your site
[185]	Understanding CGI scripts
[186]	How to use cookies
[187]	Create a message board with CGI
[188]	Create a rollover menu
[189]	Setting up a newsletter
[190]	The sound of music... (RealMedia & streaming)
[191]	Setting up a webcam
[192]	The refer trade (referral tools)

MACROMEDIA FLASH
================
[189]	1. 3D web animation
[190]	2. Tweening in Flash
[191]	3. Video and Flash
[192]	4. Preloaders and Flash
[193]	5. The mystery of masks
[194]	6. ActionScript and components

XML
===
[180]	Using XSL to create HTML pages from XML documents
[181]	Pattern matching in XSLT
[182]	Navigating XML documents with XPATH
[183]	XSL templates
[184]	How to design an HTML XSL template
[185]	Inside MSXML 3.0
[186]	Apache’s XML parsers
[187]	Introducing XML Schema
[188]	Defining elements in XML Schema
[189]	2001: the year in XML (W3 overview)
[190]	Introducing ebXML
[192]	Using XSL to extract data from documents
[193]	Working with XML in Visual Basic.NET
[194]	Using Perl to handle XSLT
[195]	Creating an RSS description
[196]	Generating RSS summaries

NETWORKING
[180]	Share an internet connection
[194]	Expert networking: 1. Networking two PCs
[195]	Expert networking: 2. Small networks

...I'll get around to indexing 165 thru 179 sometime and if anyone's
interested, I'll post it on the list.

DaveyP
http://www.daveyp.com
http://informs.hud.ac.uk