[Hudlug] file permissions in Samba

Paul Brook paul at nowt.org
Thu Nov 20 07:45:57 GMT 2003

On Wednesday 19 November 2003 1:38 pm, Simon Fox-Jones wrote:
> If A accesses the file, afterwards the file permisions for the  group is
> read only for the group and he becomes the owner.
>
> I then set the permissions back to owner RWX and group RW and B can use
> the file.
>
> Again when I next look at the file B has become RWX as owner and the
> group is read only
>
> I want A and B to have RWX for the file

It sounds like you need to changet the file permission masks for the shate
in samba. I'm not sure whot the defaut permissions are, but I expect it may
be 0755 or similar. AFAIK the samba permission masks work the same way that
umask does.

You may also want to play with the force group option if group ownership
isn't being preserved.

HTH,

Paul