[Hudlug] file permissions in Samba

Tim tim at kooky.org
Thu Nov 20 17:25:18 GMT 2003

Anne Wilson wrote:

> I stand corrected.  You are absolutely right.  I don't use
> create/directory mask in my smb.conf, but if it is there it will be
> controlling it.

The default value is:
  create mask = 0744

(from the smb.conf man page)

Of course, some vendors may patch Samba to provide a more secure 0700
default mask.

>>[shared]
>>     path = /shared
>>     comment = Shared area
>>     writable = yes
>>     locking = yes
>>     force  create mode = 0770
>>     force directory mode = 0770
>>     create mask = 0770
>>     directory mask = 0770
>>

> What is the purpose of the two 'force' lines?

It does exactly what it looks like.  Files created by samba in this
share will be given 0770 (group read/write/execute) permissions.

Which lets other people in the group (set on the directory, with sticky
bit) open the files and do things with them, and save them back again.

Tim