[Hudlug] file permissions in Samba

Tim tim at kooky.org
Fri Nov 21 11:37:23 GMT 2003

Anne Wilson wrote:
> Sorry, Tim, you've lost me.  Surely  create mask = 0770 does that?

create mask places a limit on files that are created.

For example, if you just do

tim at timdeb:~$ touch fred.txt
tim at timdeb:~$ ls -l fred.txt
-rw-r--r--    1 tim      tim             0 Nov 20 19:47 fred.txt

This file has been created with permissions 644

Creating this file with samba (with a 0770 mask) would have resulted in
a file like:
-rw-r-----    1 tim      tim             0 Nov 20 19:47 fred.txt

The mask prevents any world permissions.

> Why do you need  force  create mode = 0770 ?

Because it is a shared workspace area, I really want every file to be
0770 (owner and group read/writeable).

I probably don't need the `force create mode` and `create mode` entries
in the same section.

Tim