[Hudlug] Chat server

Tim Bray tim at kooky.org
Thu Oct 9 22:50:23 BST 2003

Corrado Topi wrote:
> Does anybody know about a good IRC server we can install here at the
> university? Not necessarily a n IRC server ... whichever chat server which
> could be accessed from a browser (using PHP is possible) ...

Making it web based is the tricky bit.  Most chat services use richer
user interface features, than you can get out of a browser without using
a java applet.

The best chat solution is jabber.  The confusing thing is that there are
many different clients for both windows and linux.

With some clients you can customise the installer to have specific
defaults.

If there are any jabber users, then tim at doylem.co.uk works.   You can
also connect to the hudlug room on conference.doylem.co.uk

Tim