[Hudlug] Newbee Axel - Help

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Nov 9 10:26:57 GMT 2004

On Monday 08 Nov 2004 11:48, axel foley wrote:

> Previous experience - good with PC hardware etc and software but little
> programming experience

You don't need programming experience.  Later you may want it, but you don't
*need* it.

> Although very experienced at installing windows

Who isn't? ;-)

As Andy said, most modern distros are easy to install, and certainly all the
major ones are good at recognising most hardware.  I use Mandrake, which is
good and bad for a beginner, in that

It has a good installer
It has many graphical tools that help with configuration
urpmi is a first-class installer of software - better than most distros can
give you.

but it is bleeding edge, so

You get the latest apps prepared for it, but
Sometimes you will need help to get things tweaked properly.
Occasionally you find something that just will not work for you, though there
is always another way of doing it ;-)

The thing that kept me going when I was first struggling to get to grips was
the fact that there are good, helpful, friendly mailing lists, manned day and
night, and it is usual to get answers to your problems within hours, and
often minutes, of the question being asked.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302