[Hudlug] Mailinglist Moderation Problems

Tim Bray tim at kooky.org
Thu Jul 7 19:30:57 BST 2005

Hi

For those that don't know, I am the person who a long time ago
volunteered to look after the hudlug mailinglist.

This means that I click approve on any (valid) postings that get held
for moderation in the mailinglist queue.

At present the mailinglist is hosted my lug.org.uk (whoever they are).

The problems I have are

1) Lots and Lots of spam is aimed torwards towards the mailinglist.  I
usually check the queue every morning, and delete about 15 spams. Very
rarely is there ever a real posting that needs approval.

This means I don't look at the moderation queue as often as I should,
which means that when a genuine posting needs accept clicking it gets
delayed.

2) Even more spam is aimed at hudlug-owner at mailman.lug.org.uk  - This
all ends up in my inbox, to the order 15 to 20 messages a day.

I really think something needs to be done.

1) Stay as we are, but I bin anything sent to hudlug-owner@

2) lug.org.uk seriously up the anti spam on their machine.
(I emailed them about this, but no answer yet)

3) We move the mailinglist somewhere else, where we can sort it out
ourselves.  I'm happy to do this on one of my hosted servers, but it
means that we need to migrate to a different email address.  I guess we
can point a dns record off hudlug.org.uk

4) Somebody else (not me) looks after the mailinglist and sifts through
all the spam.

What do people think?

A little background about list management.

The list manager to setup to allow any email from an email address it
recognises.

Any posts from

- new members to the list (who have not posted before)
- unknown email addresses (usually, when a subscriber has multiple
addresses)

get put into a moderation queue.

Tim