[Hudlug] Semi-OT - Laptop advice, please

Paul Brook paul at codesourcery.com
Thu Jun 23 16:36:57 BST 2005

On Thursday 23 June 2005 13:45, Anne Wilson wrote:
> I've never had a laptop before, so I need some quick advice.  I've been
> told that I should remove the battery if I use it on mains.  Is this true
> of modern laptops?

There are many myths about battery life, most of which are either inaccurate,
or only apply to very old batties. For example old machines (> 7 years or so)
use NiCad batteries which need a full discharge/charge cycles to avoid memory
effects. With modern NiMH or lithium ion batteries this will actually damage
the battery.

Generally speaking if you keep the battery well changed you won't go far
wrong. Modern batteries have integrated charging circuitry. They prefer being
recharged immediately after use, and an continual topup trickle change
between uses.

Paul