[Hudlug] usb keypad and usb memory stick

MICHAEL WEAVER michaelweaver1 at btinternet.com
Fri Aug 18 20:55:16 BST 2006

I have now got a USB keypad for my laptop which fits.
There are 2 USB ports on my laptop in the bottom left and bottom right
corners so I can connect it either side although I presume most of the
time I will be using the right side for the keypad and the left slot for
the USB stick.
Ubuntu seemed to recognise the Dizgo stick. I think Lindsay says it is a
256 MB one.
I tried out the keypad briefly with Orca, using the Insert from the
keypad and F1 on the laptop which is the context sensative help for Orca
or whatever you might call it where it freezes the Keystrokes to prevent
them from activating but tells you what each keystroke does and that
seemed to work.
I think some of the Orca keystrokes are very much like Jaws for Windows
keystrokes because you use Insert for each one and it is also a bit like
Windoweyes keystrokes as well.
I think for example that + is a left mouse keystroke, well it is one of
the top keys on the keypad that simulates a mouse keystroke, the Mouse
keystrokes are pretty much like Jaws for Windows and Windoweyes anyway.
I think that 1 on the keypad reads the caracter you are on, 2 on the
keypad reads the left caracter and 3 reads the caracter to the right for
example.
May have got this slightly rong but that is a basic idea and those keys
with Ins used reads words I think but I will have another look before
the next meeting at Birstall and Vox but I will just play around with
them for a while but they certainly don't have a steep learning curve
like the key commands for Gnopernicus but I reckon either screenreader
will work with a little more control than I had without the pad so I
think I really did need the pad as a necessary means of using a Linux
screenreader.
I think for something like a screenreader you need a pad as they are
written to make things easier so you concentrate more on using the
application rather than concentrating on using the screenreader.