[Hudlug] setting up my desktop

Ben Fowler ben.the.mole at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 08:15:34 BST 2006

On 30/08/06, MICHAEL WEAVER <michaelweaver1 at btinternet.com> wrote:
> I really enjoyed tonight's meeting ...

That is great, and I also hope that you will come away each time
having learned something.

> If I were to have someone come out and set up my desktop as a Linux
> system rather than Windows, do I need any information other than my
> username, password, email address, smtp. popmail account name and news
> server?

I don't think so.

> Do I need to know address numbers like port numbers or other very
> technical information, netmask for example or should every setting I
> need be picked up by my BT voyager and automatically recognised by Ubuntu?
> I need to know before I totally modify my PC as I don't want to lose
> total access to my Internet connection?

Several possibilities.

Boot Ubuntu as a live CD and verify everything.
Add a second HD to your system and install onto that

> Do I need to phone BT to make the change as I am not sure if they would
> be able to help as they maybe more adapted to dealing with technical
> support under Windows and not Linux.

Probably not.

> Sorry if these questions sound novice.

No, it is fine. I suspect that running Ubuntu live will quickly
dissolve all doubts.

> As I have never had Linux running on my desktop as an installation as I
> only used Oralux which did seem to connect I don't know how technical it
> will be to get the same connection with Ubuntu.

I have never used it, but I understand that Oralux is a complete and
effective solution to eyes-free computing. Ubuntu is less technical,
certainly.

Ben