[Hudlug] lug meeting

MICHAEL WEAVER michaelweaver1 at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 6 18:56:07 GMT 2006

I am pleased that Hud Lug does know that Linux can be used with speech
access hence the demonstration of Oralux and answers to my questions.
I think though Linux in general needs to do lots more work for the Blind
community to give more of an alternative to Windows in the area of software
speech because it has only been recently that Speakup has been given the
ability to support software synths despite the fact I think that hardware
synths are near to or impossible to purchase in the UK and Braille displays
are quite costly.
I also think the range of supported applications needs expanding as most
work seems to be concentrated on Internet browsing which in one sense is no
bad thing but it does neglect work on other applications ie Gnucash.
Hopefully the future ability of Gnopernicus to support both Gnome and KDE
may help push things as I have read on a mailinglist that Gnopernicus may be
being developed to run in both graphical desktops which may expand the
number of applications it will speak.