Choice of accounting/budget system (was Re: [Hudlug] linux accessability)

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Feb 27 15:19:48 GMT 2006

On Monday 27 February 2006 14:35, Ben Fowler wrote:

> I am not sure whether Gnopernicus works with KDE, but there is a project
> with a name like Kassist for KDE, though it may be less ambitious than
> Gnopernicus.
> Neither do I know whether in general people with a visual handicap prefer
> Gnome, KDE, some other window manager (rat poision??) or even a terminal
> with no GUI. Maybe we have to investigate and/or test this as well!
> In general, one can indeed run KDE programs under Gnome and vice versa.

FWIW I subscribe to a kde list.  I could ask specifically if kde applications
can be run satisfactorily with gnopernicus.  I'm pretty sure that Michael
would not have the time or inclination to learn several assist platforms.  If
the answer is that results would be doubtful, then it's not worth spending
any more time on kde applications for this purpose.

> IIRC correctly, we are hoping to end up with a configuration for
> Gnopernicus that will enable Michael to use GNUcash independently.
>
> This may not be readily achievable, and I think that Michael has in mind
> the long term (but not indefinite) assistance of either myself or another
> sighted companion that
> he has in mind. (This is why I keep harping on about privacy).

I still think that we could use a test setup for training, keeping his
privacy.

> This - using GNUcash independently - might be challenge to a sighted
> person, and it makes a lot of sense to check that a proper choice of
> application has been made, and we haven't simply leapt onto a bandwaggon of
> some kind. In particular, we ought to review usability, HCI factors in
> general, and polish of:
>
> 1) GNUcash
> 2) KMyMoney
> 3) Ad hoc spreadsheet solution
>
> before getting too deeply attached to one solution. Personally, I
> think that it is very
> fair to say to that if a given application/method of working presents
> difficulty for
> a sighted person then it is probably foolish to make it the first
> choice for someone
> with a visual handicap.

I can only add that I would not have managed to do what I needed in GnuCash if
I had not printed out the manual.  The manual is substantial and answers most
questions, but I'm not sure how feasible it is to skim an index or list of
contents using speech output.  This whole area is something that few of us
will have met before.

> It now seems that it is very desirable to do several pilot studies to
> verify that the proposed
> solutions are actually capable of doing the job.
>
> Maybe we need Michael to tell us a few use cases.

Definitely.  Until we know what he needs to be able to do there is no way we
will be able to help.

> (Also giving instructions is a bit of an art in itself.

Instruction must be tailored to need.

> I am fully aware
> that if you see that someone does something, it is a vote of confidence,
> but if you do it for them it, it is a best an implication that they are not
> good enough.

If we go ahead with this at all I would think that Michael will need to record
all that is being said, so that he can not only repeat the instruction, but
hear any explanations again.

> The trouble
> is, that with computing systems, even linux, it is too easy to get
> onself into a mess
> that one cannot get out of).

And anything to do with accounting must leave you feeling secure, or it's
simply a menace.

> I short, learn how to use these packages as sighted people, chose one to
> configure with Gnopernicus and train you, Michael in its use. Personally, I
> am quite happy to act as amanuensis/assistant indefinitely, if this is what
> makes the difference between your being able to use Linux/Ubuntu for
> your activities versus your not being able to do so (this is what I mean by
> keeping the show on the road), and it may depend on making things very,
> very simple in operation; but I would imagine that eventually you would
> be able to memorize the critical steps and be fully independent.
> that given time.

I think the only constraints are

finding the package that meets Michael's accounting needs - and -
will work with Gnopernicus.

Other than that, I'm sure it is achievable.  It may be that Michael would have
to give us a list of every task he foresees, so that we can build a logical
learning curve.

Anne