[Hudlug] Debian and display settings

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Jan 4 21:17:30 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 04 Jan 2006 14:01, Tim Bray wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Hi, Tim.  I shan't bother changing it.  This is a
> > temporary/experimental install, so that I can assess it for use on
> > a home lan server.  There's simply no need for the latest and
> > greatest, as long as I can work out how to get security patches.  I
> > hope to have time to look at that today.
>
> security patches in debian are really easy.
>
> If during installation you said yes to include security sources, then
> you just need to do:
>
> apt-get update; apt-get upgrade
>
> And your system will get updated.
>
> Note that with Debian security patches, they backport the changes.
> So when you get a security upgrade they have only changed the little
> bit needed to fix the bug.
>
> If you didn't say yes to security sources, then you need to edit
> /etc/apt/sources.list and makesure you have a line like
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ sarge/updates main

I do have that.  It appears that a kernel update was all that was
required.  That surprised me - unless I had already pulled some updates
without realising it - as I'm used to having to do a very large update
as soon as Mandriva is installed.

> You can also install the cron-apt package to automatically install
> updates.
>
> apt-get install cron-apt
>
> will install it for you.  By default it will do the update bit, and
> do the downloading.
> You still have to do apt-get upgrade to install.  A little config
> with the cron-apt settings will make it upgrade as well - although
> this is maybe a little scary.

For the moment, at least, I won't do that.  I like to check for updates
reguarly, but I also like to see what's being proposed.

> Also see:
>
> http://www.debian.org/security/
>
> Also consider subscribing to  debian-security-announce mailing list,
> to remind you when you need to upgrade.

That's a good idea - I do have the same for Mandriva.  I presume that I
sign on from the debian website?

Thanks for the suggestions, Tim.

On the whole I'm liking what I see, although I have hit one big problem
with samba - but another thread for that ;-)

Anne