[Hudlug] backing up my laptop

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Thu Jul 13 09:43:48 BST 2006

On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 04:15:57PM +0100, MICHAEL WEAVER wrote:
> When I get Orca working on my laptop, what would you suggest for making
> backups?

I have recently been using a rather nice tool called "Simple backup" [0] on
Linux.

It's really easy to use to either perform ad-hoc backups or regularly
scheduled ones. I don't know what distribution you use, but I use it on
Ubuntu and it's lovely. It backs up your home directory, all the config in
/etc, a list of all packages installed, and can include and exclude
paths/files you specify. For example you might want it to backup your .jpegs
but not your .avi files.

> Don't know if Linux has this same problem where for example you might
> try an application, find it may not work for you and you try and
> uninstall it and it leaves bits behind.

Nowhere near as much as windows does. It is possible on some distros to
install a package which then installs some dependants, then remove the
package but the dependants are left behind. They can of course be removed if
you like, but many people forget to do this.

Cheers,
Al.

[0] http://sbackup.sourceforge.net/HomePage