[Hudlug] gnopernicus problem

MICHAEL WEAVER michaelweaver1 at btinternet.com
Sat Jun 17 07:35:55 BST 2006

Someone has posted to the Orca mailing list and I am wondering if the
mention of a sound card problem may be the reason why I am having problems
with Gnopernicus starting in Dapper on my laptop although this email
mentions the next version of Ubuntu.
Hi,
Next week a bunch of us Ubuntu folks will meet in Paris to discuss
amongst other things new accessibility features in Edgy Eft. Orca is
clearly high on that list.
(
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Accessibility/Specs/EdgyAccessibility
)
We've had some problems with the optimised file systems on the Live CD
(which are used to make it boot faster), in that the sound card may not
be up when Gnome starts and so Gnopernicus fails to come up speaking.
We would like to have a more robust solution for this in Edgy. The first
thing to find out is which component breaks (festival, gnome-speech --
I'm sure others will know which). Then we should decide how we can make
sure that it's brought back up automatically. Would this be the
responsibility of Orca or speech-dispatcher/gnome-speech? Can one of
these be given the task of checking the other links in the chain further
down and try to bring them back up?
I see several people have been asking for a Live CD with Orca, so it
would be cool to get this out fairly early in the cycle.
- Henrik