[Hudlug] gnopernicus problem

MICHAEL WEAVER michaelweaver1 at btinternet.com
Mon Jun 19 08:47:32 BST 2006

Hi!
I think I may be able to work out why you have doubts about Totally Blind
people using GUI in Linux.
I suppose the same was thought about Windows until computer users went from
DOS to Windows.
Until I used HAL at RNC in Hereford and at home Jaws and now Windoweyes, I
pretty much came from a #DOS environment where everything was command line
based.
Although in theory having a knowledge of commands in DOS which have slight
differences in Linux, the main problem with command line stuff is the
limited options I have for screenreaders if I am going to stick with Ubuntu
because there are only Emacspeak and Speakup, the latter which hasn't yet
been packaged for Ubuntu for it to be patched into the system.
As Emacspeak is the only real option, the problem is emacs and Emacspeak are
not the easiest thing for a newby to learn despite my knowledge of DOS
commands and I reckon I would probably need to constantly look at the Emacs
and Emacspeak documentation for every task I wanted to achieve.
There are talking Linux distros ie Oralux and even GRML which do use Speakup
but I am not sure if they can be made to run as other than live distros. The
latest version of Oralux now seems to support software speech and from
testing it on my desktop I did manage to get GRML to speak which is slightly
tricky as you have to count before typing the commands for software speech
when the PC boots and I am not sure of what GRMl would have given me access
to as I hadn't yet worked out the Speakup commands.