[Hudlug] i may have another go

MICHAEL WEAVER michaelweaver1 at btinternet.com
Tue Sep 5 05:17:55 BST 2006

I may have another crack at trying to update from Dappa to Edgy on my
laptop with the CD I have created for Edgy while I have time on my hands.
I may only be a fairly newby to Linux but I never know my luck.
Although I didn't quite get that Simple Backup I managed to get using
sudo apt-get working from the Gnome desktop when I ran the configuration
after it prompted me for my password when I installed it as it may not
quite work with my version of Orca the solution to upgrade from Dappa to
Edgy might just jump out at me on the off chance. Although I am not the
programmer I would have liked to have been I tend to find things slot
into place for some reason sometimes like for example when I was trying
to fathom out my first mobile phone with speech which was the Nokia
Communicator 9210 I, I had no accessable manual and didn't really know
my way around Talks or even the phone until my fingers just so happened
to come across 4 buttons on the little screen and with some
experimentation I found they were the softkeys used for talks command
like key 1 at the very top of these keys was the ok command or to get
into a menu for doing something in talks ie accepting to open the text
messaging Window.
Maybe this might happen with Linux, I might try something like for
example inserting my CDROM for when my system starts, do a sudo apt-get
dist upgrade for example and it might now get it from the CDROM and
recognise that I want to upgrade to Edgy or unlike my desktop PC which
for some reason it didn't work on, it might just boot into live Edgy for
me so I can get to the desktop using speech which I already have and get
to the link which Henrik mentions in his documentation for installing
Edgy as a Blind user.