[Hudlug] created a web page

Ben Fowler ben.the.mole at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 00:30:52 BST 2006

On 15/09/06, MICHAEL WEAVER <michaelweaver1 at btinternet.com> wrote:
> I now have a presence on the web.

Michael, it is good, it is very good.

Indeed why bother with Linux if you can do all that in Word!

Next time we meet, could you go over the steps you carry out to create
and/or update a web page using your chosen Windows tools. I would very
much like to be able to be set up the same workflow under Linux. I
will freely admit that I cannot see any way of doing this that is as
easy as I would like.

You are very welcome to put some pages on the Birstall and Howden
Clough site if this suits you. We ought to be thinking about blogs
(exempli gratia Wordpress http://wordpress.org/about/ ) for B&HC LUG.

I have viewed yoiur site in MacLynx, and would make these suggestions
and comments:

* Main Page

MICHAELS WEB SITE could be MICHAEL'S WEB SITE
web site hosting could be web page creation/writing

You needn't have mentioned that you are blind. It is not obvious from
anything that has gone before; and I would add that your breaking up
the text into paragraphs (which blind people often do not do), tends
to indicate that you are happy to come across as an individual rather
than a blind individual. But that is up to you. Could you say what you
want to about purely visual content worded in such a way as would not
need any comment about blindness...

I am not sure that you have the mailto: link quite right, but using
Lynx as I am, I am not suggesting anything wrong with it. The "About"
link is fine, but you may have misplaced the tags in the link to
HUDLUG.

See http://www.eklhad.net/cli.html and
http://www.blind.state.ia.us/ASSIST/chong-bio.htm for examples of high
quality sites. I thought that I had a couple of slightly more
pertinent examples - these are more objectives to aim at rather than
targets that can be easily met - but I can't seem to find them.

* About Me

I would not state my correct age on a web site. Do you mean to update
it? You could say: "I am a child of the Thatcher era" (if you feel
that you are); or "I was born in the same year that Adrian Mole turned
15 and 1/4". Again there is no need to give quite as much detail
(unless you want to, or find it helpful) at this stage: "... I was
born with a condition in which the fluid in my eyes was solid, but I
don't notice it much. I spent most of my childhood at Boarding School
and later at College." - but it is up to you.

You might want to capitalise Assistants, or even clarify by saying ...
the Actresses who played the parts of his assistants ..., and it is
Somerset.

distrobution => distribution, but we do say "distro" don't we?

I hope that the Radio side of things goes well, and we must get you
started with some Linux programming.

I mean what I say when I claim that I do  not yet know of a Free
Software tool chain that can do what you have done, and this needs
looking into.

Ben