[Hudlug] created a web page

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Sep 18 12:41:33 BST 2006

On Monday 18 September 2006 12:12, Ben Fowler wrote:
> > I found that starting from a rich text file from a word processor needed
> > a lot of cleaning up.  Creating the text directly into Composer was much
> > cleaner, though that can be slimmed down too.  I especially liked the
> > validation link.
>
> Obviously it depends. My picture of a rich file is one with styles,
> one heading and several paragraphs. All you are getting is the ability
> to do simply formatting and and structure using your well-known gui
> interface and export to several simple formats including HTML.

If you start from a rich text file in OpenOfficeWriter (and I believe that
Word acts the same way) writing it as an html file puts in a lot of markup
that is spurious.  I'm thinking particularly of things like closing a tag and
then immediately opening the same tag.  It doesn't stop anything working, it
just adds to bloat.

Anne