[Hudlug] wireless internet

Paul Brook paul at codesourcery.com
Wed Apr 4 16:25:44 BST 2007

On Wednesday 04 April 2007 15:13, MICHAEL WEAVER wrote:
> If I were to purchase a wireless router, how would I connect my desktop
> PC as I am not sure if it has a network card installed?

Wireless routers generally also support wired connections (ie. regular cat5
ethernet). Any machine bought within the last 5ish years will almost
certainly have onboard ethernet.

> What router would anyone suggest which works in Linux?

Pretty much anything should work. I've had good results with netgear boxen in
the past. All domestic routers use a web-based configuration nowadays, so any
machine capable of running a web browser should work fine.

> Also how do I find out the settings for wireless Internet access?

The router should come with documentation describing how to configure it.It's
generally just turn it on and type your ADSL username+password into the
web-based configuration interface. They're designed to be idiotproof.

Paul