[Hudlug] wired broadband to wireless broadband

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Apr 7 15:03:20 BST 2007

On Saturday 07 April 2007, MICHAEL WEAVER wrote:
> If I were to purchase a Netgear or whatever make of wireless router,
> will it be simple switching my desktop from wired Broadband to wireless
> Broadband?
> Also is there a way of making these routers secure?
> I ask because I heard something on ITV News about the accessibility of
> others to someone's wireless router where they had this chap using some
> device and gaining access to people's Internet connection.

Remember that most of the security problems people have is because they simply
don't think about security.

Netgear - I have one of their routers.  It has an absolutely excellent
browser-based interface.  I have it set up with WPA-PSK - which simply means
that you give the router a passphrase, and your computer has to know that
passphrase or you can't access the wifi.  It's really easy.  HTH

Anne